Nasolabial Folds: Why, What, How?
- Posted on: Apr 15 2021
- Leave a response
Nasolabial folds are the lines that develop around the nose and mouth. They begin at each side of the nose, near the nostril, and extend down toward the corners of the mouth. At first, when we see these lines, it is only when we are laughing and smiling. As the skin ages, though, nasolabial folds are often permanently etched on the skin. This sign of aging may not be harmful to health, but it sure can be frustrating. Here, we discuss why we get nasolabial folds, what we might do to slow their onset and progression, and how a dermatologist can treat them.
Why do We Get Nasolabial Folds?
Several factors influence our aging process. These include:
- Age-related chemical changes, namely the loss of collagen in the skin. Nasolabial folds can also worsen as the mid-face loses volume and structure.
- Sun exposure, which degrades collagen.
- Smoking, which pollutes the air against the skin and damages collagen.
What Can We Do to Prevent Nasolabial Folds?
There is no way to prevent facial aging. It happens to every person. However, knowing the factors that contribute to this particular problem, we may manage the speed at which it occurs. To keep the skin resistant to nasolabial folds, we can:
- Limit direct sun exposure as much as possible.
- Avoid tanning beds and lamps.
- Wear SPF 30 sunscreen daily, rain or shine.
- Moisturize the skin well every day, increasing moisture at night when the body is in repair mode.
- Add retinoid products to the daily skin care regimen.
- Use products with vitamin C and other antioxidants, which help repair collagen.
How Your Dermatologist Can Help
Nasolabial folds are likely to happen to us all at some point. When they do, your dermatologist has ways to treat them. These include:
- Dermal fillers. This may be the most popular way of smoothing nasolabial folds. One benefit of dermal filler treatment is that it achieves instantaneous results.
- Chemical peels. If you want to postpone the onset of nasolabial folds, you may find periodic chemical peel treatments a worthwhile solution.
- BBL Forever Young is a broadband light treatment that is clinically proven to slow the aging process.
- Laser skin resurfacing. A versatile treatment, laser skin resurfacing boosts collagen production to smooth lines and also restores smooth texture and radiance to the skin.
Schedule your visit today to see how our experienced team can help you reduce nasolabial folds. Call (941) 379-6647 to schedule your consultation! American Dermatology Associates serves Sarasota, FL & all nearby areas
Posted in: Dermatology Services