Is it time to see a doctor about acne?
- Posted on: Jun 15 2022
Acne is commonly known as a teenage issue, but even adults know it can strike at any time (often at the worst time possible). The occasional pimple is one thing, but what if you have painful, persistent acne that won’t go away no matter what home treatments you try? Or, maybe you are tired of having acne scars from breakouts long ago, and you’re wondering what can be done about them. You may be wondering if the time has come to see your doctor about your acne problems instead of trying to treat them yourself.
When to see your dermatologist about acne
There comes a point when you realize that nothing you are doing at home is really helping your acne. Here are some other signs it may be time to make that doctor’s appointment:
• You have tried a variety of at-home, over-the-counter creams, face washes, and cleansers, but not only are they not helping, your acne seems to be getting worse.
• Your acne is inflamed and painful. This may be cystic acne, which won’t go away on its own. Cystic acne can also leave scars, which is another reason to see your doctor for treatment.
• You have tried over-the-counter products but your skin is sensitive to them. This can result in more problems than just acne – you may also start to notice that your skin is irritated or that you have a rash.
• You have acne scars (perhaps even left over from your teenage years), which are close to impossible to get rid of without a doctor’s help.
• You find yourself staying home because you are too self-conscious about your skin to go out. Years of dealing with acne and acne scars can start to affect your self-esteem and how you see yourself; this is true even if your acne isn’t “severe.”
Your dermatologist will have different options to treat your acne, prevent future acne breakouts, and give you the beautiful skin you have always wanted. Over-the-counter acne treatments can only do so much, especially if you have serious acne or acne scars. The staff at American Dermatology Associates can help! Call 941-379-6647 for an appointment today!
Posted in: Skin Conditions