Forehead Lines: What Can We Do About Them?
- Posted on: Mar 15 2021
Forehead lines are a source of worry for many adults. It’s no wonder they call them worry lines! Here, we discuss everything you need to know about this pesky cosmetic concern.
Why do We Get Forehead Lines?
Lines and wrinkles are attributed to the decline of collagen in the skin. This is part of the story but there’s more that we need to know. Forehead lines are what we call dynamic wrinkles. When you raise your eyebrows, you probably see at least one horizontal crease at the upper area of your face. The muscles move, which dynamically moves the skin. When the face is at rest, though, lines should disappear. Over time and with chemical changes, the crease in the skin becomes permanent. Those dynamic wrinkles become static. They become permanent. They become problematic.
Are Forehead Lines Preventable?
It would be so nice if we could just avoid lines and wrinkles naturally. While we simply cannot postpone aging forever, there are a few strategies that have shown good results. These include:
- Avoid sun exposure. You can’t live in Sarasota and expect to stay out of the sunshine 365 days a year. That’s not practical. Fortunately, it’s also not necessary. When you go outdoors, do so after applying SPF 30 sunscreen. This reduces the degrading effects that sunlight has on the collagen in your skin.
- Do not smoke. Collagen is also damaged by air pollutants, and smoking is a big one. Additionally, smoking decreases oxygenation in the body, which causes the skin to degrade more quickly.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! If you drink caffeine or alcohol, it is even more critical that you also drink at least 64 ounces of water daily. Dehydrated skin shows lines more prominently, so drink up.
Treatments for Forehead Lines
It’s never too soon to start addressing forehead lines. If you’re just starting to notice them or have been trying to ignore them for years, there is a treatment option for you. A board-certified dermatologist can make recommendations based on the current condition of your skin and your cosmetic goals.
Common treatments for forehead lines include:
- This injectable is probably the most popular option for forehead lines because the neuromodulator was made specifically for dynamic wrinkles. Botox injections decrease muscle movements to the overlying skin lies smoothly.
- Dermal fillers. Most people think of dermal fillers for the lower face. However, newer fillers are more flexible so can be used to reduce dynamic wrinkles.
- This treatment is advantageous because it stimulates widespread tissue regeneration. Microneedling works by activating cells that produce collagen and elastin. With more of these chemicals in the skin, it is smoother, firmer, and more resilient. Microneedling isn’t likely to erase existing forehead lines, but it can make an excellent preventive treatment.
Posted in: Dermatology Services